Monday, August 11, 2008

Highlights

First of, Thursday (8-7-08) was spent in the Er. That's basically it. not need for details.

Friday was spent recovering from Thursday. Jeff's mom (Love this woman! She puts up with my random drop-ins so well.) made me soup and hot, milk tea. Watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics with her and Jeff.

Saturday was nice. The doctor told me to do something stress-relieving, so I went for a walk around the neighborhood. I hadn't realized how long it had been since I'd done that until I saw how everything had changed. The walk was full of thoughts like: "that didn't used to be there"... "I wonder if so-and-so still owns this palce"... "I remember always coming here"... "I guess they move to this location from that one"...

(sidenote: I don't like the phrase "used to." It seems so grammatically incorrect that it irks me every time I use it. And I don't even know if it's "used to" or "use to." Somebody, help!)

It was a very bittersweet walk. I stopped and talked to the few store owners that have still stuck around. I even went back to this barbershop with Jeff to update the barber there on my current relationship. He was a bit worried about me a few years ago and was relieved that I was doing better. He told me that I should slow down and enjoy things because "it all moves so fast now." Ain't that the truth.

Went to church on Sunday. Well, I went to a large chunk of church. Lola had gone to the 8 o'clock mass without me, so I had to wait till the 9:30 one. While I was walking, I ran into a friend of mine. Hmm... I call him my friend, but I don't even know his name. I'll ask him next time. He's this older, black gentleman. I mean through-and-through that he's a gentleman. He was even wearing a red, Mr. Rogers-type sweater that morning. For as long as I've known him (a few years now), he's loved kids and kids love him.

It was a calming, soothing talk for me. We talked randomly. Talked about religion. Talked about politics. Talked about kids. Talked about his wife. Talked about Nikki and Mariel. Talked about golf. Talked about the future of the Philippines. He's a gentleman, but he swears when he gets into a topic he's passionate about and it's still easy on the ears.

I was feeling a bit under-dressed for church. Baggy pants, t-shirt, hoodie, sneakers type. Same-ol' type. Me type. He told me not to trip, cause that's the style God gave me. That's the individuality. It's part of God's design. He said, "If you go against God' design, I only have one thing to ask you... Who the fuck do you think YOU are?" And still easy on the ears.

He walked me to church after that and I made it after the Gospel, but before Communion.

Jeff came over after that and we just chilled. Got some Banana Island, brought it home, grubbed, and watched a subtitled movie titled, "Why Me, Sweetie?" Uber-cute and funny. I recommend it.

And tomorrow? Jeff's taking me river rafting at the American River. Yaaayy! I'm so excited. I don't even think I'll be able to sleep tonight. I haven't been putting up any video blogs lately, but I will after tomorrow.


Cross your fingers and hope I don't drown!

No comments: