that I should have probably posted the recipe for the dish that we worked on. Here's a link to the site: Dhanggit's Kitchen.
If you're too lazy to click that, then you're probably too lazy to cook for yourself as well. Haha. I kid. Sort of. Anyway, to save you the finger strain of clicking. Here's the recipe, haphazardly thrown together as an afterthought:
500 g of fettucine pasta
250 g of prawns
250 g of mushrooms (champignon de paris)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 a tsp of cayenne powder (more if you desire)
some sliced chili if you desire (optional)
20 cl of fresh cream
1 tsp pg ginger powder
2 tsp of curry powder
some olive oil
salt and pepper
some parmesan cheese
(you should probably have your spices ready to be tossed in, measured and everything)
1) Clean and slice the mushrooms. You should probably go ahead and start dicing the garlic and onions while your at it. Get those tears out of the way early.
2) Shell and gut the prawns. Really get in there. Think of yourself as some seriously hard-core laxative. Keep the shells, because you're going to add those to a half a cup of water and let them simmer. Boil it until it reduces to a quarter. This is going to be the broth you'll use for later. Don't forget it!
3) Put your garlic and olive oil in a sauteing pan until it browns. Chuck in the onions, then mushrooms. I repeat, onions THEN mushrooms.
4) Add the prawns last and let it cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
5) Mix in the spices: curry, cayenne, ginger... the tobasco and chopped chili , if you decided to go that route... and stirstirstir.
6) Pour in the broth that you smartly did NOT forget about and let simmer for 5 minutes.
7) Pour in the cream and cook for a few more minutes.
(salt and pepper optional at this point)
8) Let stand for a few minutes if you want the sauce thicker, then pour over the fettuccine that I obviously forgot to tell you to cook earlier, but being the clever cookies that you are, you had done it already anyway...
9) Top with Parmesan cheese and devour.
Okay, that out of the way... on to more food talk!
Jeff and I were running around my neighborhood a little earlier, scavenging. No. No. Not scavengers. Hunter-gatherers. Yeeeesss... We were hunting and we were gathering.
First we hopped down to my favorite Salvadorian restaurant for some pupusas. The wait was 20 minutes, so we walked over the Safeway and bought a cheesecake sampler (Y'know. Those frozen cheesecakes where each slice is a different type. Mmmm.). Jeff didn't want any pupusas because he's an alien butt, so we headed over to his favorite taqueria for a super burrito.... BUT, WAIT! We stopped by a new taqueria that just opened (as if 2 on every block weren't enough), not to go in, but for what they were selling out front. I sooo wish we had streetside food vendors. I want to vacation somewhere that has droves of them.
Anyway, a lady had her station set up, selling corn.
Not just, *bam*, "Here's your corn, don't burn your mouth."
More like, *BAM*, "Hold on while I slather this freshly-cooked ear of corn with a layer of butter, coat it with Parmesan cheese, sprinkle some spices on it, and finish it off with a squeeze of lime. Oh, and I hope you're ready to have your lips and tongue catch fire, but be so completely enslaved by deliciousness that you are unable to stop eating." -diabolical cackling and suspicious lighting flashes inserted here-
THE SHIT WAS BOMB!
That's all. G'night!